Sunday, March 12, 2006

It's already been 2 months!

Amazingly, Callum just turned 2 months old. I can't believe how quickly time is passing. On one hand I feel like he's been a part of our lives forever and 2 months then seems like a drop in the bucket. On the other hand, I feel like he's been our lives forever and I can't believe it's only 2 months!

He's a great baby with lots of smiles to share these days. Nothing warms my heart quite as much as seeing such a beautiful smile as he gives me. Admittedly, he also smiles much the same way (not quite) at the bed post in our bedroom, but nonetheless, I'll take it!

Callum now weighs 11lbs. 11.5 ounces and is 59cm long! He is slightly above average for weight; average in length and average for head circumference. He got his first set of shots on the 10th and I'll tell you he wasn't very pleased about it. He was crying so hard that he went sort of a reddish-purple colour and no noise came out...for about 10 seconds and then he just let 'er rip. Boy, I had never heard him cry like that before, I felt really badly for him. The good news is, he was exceptionally good by the time we left the Doctor's office. He moaned a bit a couple of times, but I was ready for a full on moaning Minnie. I am really proud of him.

As with most parents, it doesn't take much for me to be proud of our son. He pooed - I'm proud. He smiled - I'm proud. He lifted his head an inch off the bed - I'm proud. I'm sure you get the jist of it.

I think we will try and find some infant massage class to go to. I heard it can't stimulate brain activity (makes sense really), stimulate growth (not that he needs any!) and it's also a really good way to bond with one another. I suppose it's a good way to meet other Moms with babies of the same age. Your baby can't be mobile yet from what I have read. I guess they don't want to be lying down for very long once they figure out that they don't have to. The problem with all of these Mom and baby groups is that I tend to clam up and can't figure out what to say. Once I know someone they can't shut me up, but the initial early days are pretty grim. I only have one week left to attend one of these groups because I set myself a goal to make sure I actually go.

If anyone out there knows of a formula that is easily digestible (not Nestle Good Start), please let me know. Poor Callum is having a really hard time digesting formula. I wish I didn't have to give him any formula at all, but my milk production is too low for him to get a decent feed. Apparently I need to sleep more - ha! I have no idea when I'm supposed to sleep.

Over and out.
Mummy Extraordinaire, Allison

2 comments:

Linds said...

I have no idea what to suggest for formula... this is unknown territory for moi.

However, I've heard from a friend of mine,(who has done this with much sucess with her little daughter) that ably hearing babies learn cognative skills and meaningful motion such as sign language much earlier than they learn how to speak.

So if you want a hint as to what darling Callum wants before he's learned how to say it, (which is great if he's tired, or needs a diaper change, wants a specific toy or is hungry etc,) you should check out a few of these sites.

http://www.kindersigns.com/

http://www.signingbaby.com/

http://www.handspeak.com/tour/kids/

I dunno if that'll help you at all, but if I can't give you any formula suggestions, I'm full on able to help you out with suggestions, and the option of babysitting later on.

I hope you, Graham and wee Callum are doing well.

Heaps of love.

Linds

Allison said...

Thanks for the 411 Linds. Graham and I have talked about learning sign language with Callum and it's a go! Anything that can help us understand one another sooner is hunky dorey with me.