Sunday, April 20, 2008

Inspired.

It's been almost a year since I've posted any news about Callum and our lives. This does not mean there hasn't been anything going on, or that we've given him away to Gypsies. Somehow time has just passed by and before I knew it, we're in April of 2008! Photographs of Callum have been posted on a monthly basis at: http://flickr.com/honig so please visit the link to see how the wee man has changed over the last 10 months.

My goal is to post here more regularly, as keeping a hand-written journal of Callum's achievements, life, adventures and loves isn't very fitting for me. It's very rare that I pick up a pen, but clicking away on the keyboard is a regular occurrence.

Callum has changed leaps and bounds in the last year, but is still the most amazing person ever. Many of you know me and realize I never wanted to be a Mum. Kids were annoying and men were all pigs. Somewhere along the line these ideas were changing and I didn't even realize it. Callum has changed our lives forever and I'm really glad that I finally won the lottery, the kid lottery.

Here is a list of the things Callum likes:
1. Trains, primarily Thomas the Tank Engine, but trains in general are huge on his list.
2. Reading and then reading some more. I guess technically I should say being read to.
3. The park, in particular the slides and rocks.
4. Mummy & Daddy
5. Toothpaste
6. Climbing.

Favourite books:
1. Green Eggs and Ham (quoted by Callum on a very regular basis - In the dark. Here in the dark? Would you? Could you?)
2. Little Engines Can Do Big Things (I think he's smitten with Lady the Golden Engine)
3. Snuggle Puppy
4. Moo, Baa, La La La (I think he will learn to read with this book, he's very close)
5. Curious George Goes to the Chocolate Factory (he memorized all of the different chocolates!)

Favourite songs:
1. Old MacDonald had a farm, or EIEIO as Callum refers to it
2. Frere Jacques
3. Happy Family - The Ramones
4. Apples and Bananas (Apples and Manas)
5. Goodnight Callum, Goodnight (song I made up for bedtime)

Favourite activities:
1. Playing with trains
2. Riding escalators (Callum calls them squadors)
3. Climbing, running, sliding, digging, etc.
4. Reading
5. Singing and dancing, especially if it includes honking someone's nose

Disliked activities:
1. Trying new foods - the message from Green Eggs and Ham doesn't seem to be getting through!
2. Having his hair rinsed, or really any water touching his head
3. Sitting still

Favourite foods:
1. Cheese toast (grilled cheese)
2. Strawberries or blueberries with yogurt
3. Mac 'n' cheese (back cheese... sounds gross when he says it!)
4. Gummies (fruit gummies of any kind)
5. Granola bars

Boasting section:
- can count to 20
- can add up to 4
- has an outstanding memory (quotes books and sings full songs)
- says 5 word sentences
- has peed on the potty twice!
- knows the alphabet (has done since Xmas when he received the magnetic letters from Great Auntie Mary)

I could go on forever, but I'll leave the achievements at that for now, I don't want to sound too boastful. Well, I do, but I'll restrain myself.

I've noticed that Callum seems more interested in typical boy things, like mechanics, transportation, math, etc. Art is not something that seems to come naturally for him and that's okay. He does like taking pictures, but I'm pretty sure it's because he gets to press a button.

Over and out.

P.S.
Thanks Jacquie for sharing your blog, it inspired me.

1 comment:

Jacquie Bee said...

Aw...I love it! I can't wait to get into the archives and see how far he has come! xo.